English Page

HISTORY

The Faculty of Landscape Architecture was established in 1992, with the mission of providing graduate and postgraduate (PhD) studies in landscape architecture. Students pursue one of three specialties: garden and open space design, landscape protection and reclamation and landscape/regional planning. The Faculty is the only place for landscape architecture training in Hungary. The training has always followed the trends of the European development of the profession. As a result, the curricula has been upgraded several times with the introduction of a new training structure and new courses. Currently the programmes are running in two main disciplines: Landscape Architecture is taught at undergraduate (BSc), postgraduate (MSc,MA and MLA) and PhD levels, while there is also an MSc course in Urban Planning. The MA and the PhD courses in landscape architecture are also available in English as full degree programmes. Beyond academic background, most Faculty staff also have professional experience in planning and designing projects and participating in domestic or international research projects, ensuring up-to-date, practice-orientated teaching content.

Detailed history of the Faculty
At the end of the 19th century due to an economical boom a period of economic growth, dinamic urban development and the civil accumulation of wealth has set in Hungary. The country managed to work off some years from the decades of arrear compared to European development. Hungarians were front-ranked on some fields of science, especially in mental disciplines. Owing to the favourable natural conditions, horticulture was on of these.
In Europe, the first horticultural higher educational institution was established in Dahlem next to Berlin and the second was at Buda. The Horticultural Private School founded by Ferenc Entz in 1853 became the Hungarian Royal Horticultural Institution. Garden planing and garden garden art on higher forms were first tought here in the whole Monarchy. The past century’s garden and landscape planning are hallmarked with the names of Béla Rerrich, Imre Ormos and Mihály Mőcsényi.

1853  
Horticultural training started in Hungary.

1894  
The Horticultural Institute was established dedicated to teach ornamental and landscape horticulture.

1907  
Landscape architecture was began to be taught as an independent discipline by Professor Béla Rerrich.

1939  
The institute has been  renamed to the Hungarian Royal Horticultural Academy.

1943  
The Academy functioned as the College of Horticulture and Wineculture.

1950  
Landscape planning tasks gained remarkable importance. Under the guidance of Professor Mihály Mőcsényi, landscape planning education started.

1962  
Professor Imre Ormos has worked out a proposal for the independent teaching program of landscape architecture and planning. According to this, training started in the independent department of landscape architecture and planning. The term of study was 4.5 years (9 semesters) that time; with 20 students per grade.

1968  
The university-level college was declared as University of Horticulture. The term of study  increased to 5 years also in the Department of Landscape Architecture and Planning.

1992  
The independent Faculty of Landscape Architecture, Protection and Reclamation was introduced as a government act. The education took place with three specialised directions, with 30 students per grade.

2000  
Szent István University was established by integration of University of Veterinary Science Gödöllő University of Agricultural Sciences, University of Horticulture and Food Industry, Jászberény College of Teacher Training, Ybl Miklós College of Architecture.
In 2000 uniting ten faculties seated in Gödöllő, Szent István University came to be included the Faculty of Landscape Architecture, Protection, and Development. Owning to the new university structure under the flag of the Faculty a 5 year urbanist course could be established.
The academic integration made a favourable situation with connecting the Faculty of Landscape Architecture, Protection and Development and the Ybl Miklós Technical College which were determinate institutions in the education of urbanism on higher forms. Keeping the College course could evolve the university class urbanist course ensuring the wide range of interoperability and cooperation.
Education of the urbanist course and the landscape architect course at the same faculty allows the creation of the system of common subjects and make relationship between the students of these specialities so close to each other what can be an important role in the future carreers.

2003
The government act No. 108/2003. (VII. 22.) annexed the Buda Faculties of Szent István University to the Budapest University of Economic Sciences and Public Administration.

2004
The name of the university changed to Corvinus University of Budapest.
The Urbanism course were first started in the 2003/2004 school year with 40 state-founded places. The goal is educating landscape architects who can plan in the scale of settlements and regions, design the urban environment and it’s objects, can handle the task of running the infrastructure as an urbanist, a master builder, a specialist of a technical authority and also can guide the tasks of commune, maintenance, organisation and environmental protection.

Recent years
In 2006, due to the European Union’s harmonization the 10 semester landscape architecture and urbanism courses became one linear, multilevel course. After the 7 semester on the Landscape and Garden Architect Bachelor (Bsc) Course, students can apply to a 4 semester Urbanism (Msc), Landscape Architect (MSc, MA) or Master of Arts in Landscape Architecture (MLA) master-level courses.
The most suited students can get doctoral degree on a 6 semester PhD course.